Running from the Law: Baby Bjorn Feeding Set

Monday, April 20, 2015

Baby Bjorn Feeding Set

As I mentioned last week, I received an awesome box filled with goodies to review as part of my Product Scout duties for Savvy Sassy Moms.  Half of the products were kid/baby related (which are fun to test out on the littles) and the other half were treats for mommy (which were GREATLY appreciated).  I love trying out new products and discovering fun brands and items that make life easier/better for moms.  And of course, as a blogger, I love sharing these finds and reviews with you, in the hopes that you'll love them as much as I do.  I am so excited and honored to be a part of the SSM family and I've had the best time getting to know the other mamas in the group and sharing ideas. 

One of the first products we tested out were these bibs and bowls from Baby Bjorn.  I'm a huge fan of our Baby Bjorn carriers, so I was excited about trying some of their other products.  We received a package of 2 plastic bibs and 2 plate/spoon combo sets, both in turquoise and orange.  I immediately loved the color and pulled them out to show the kids.
Mac doesn't wear a bib to eat anymore (his choice, not ours) and he refuses to eat off anything that's not a "grown up" plate (toddlers are SO opinionated), so these fun items are reserved exclusively for  the little lady in the house who is just getting started in solid foods.  Of course that didn't stop him from trying on the bib to show Mim how to wear it ("Like this, Mim") and immediately asked if he could put some worms in it.   Umm...no.  
Unfortunately, Mim can't use a spoon yet and just repeatedly throws/swipes the plate off her high chair tray and onto the floor, so I'm going to wait a few more months before trying these awesome plates and spoons out with her.  Her hand-eye coordination is pretty impressive already though, so it shouldn't be too long before she's feeding herself with utensils.  Anyway, on to the bib. To be honest, I've seen these Baby Bjorn bibs online and purposely didn't buy them because I thought they looked hard and uncomfortable.  To me, they looked rigid and like they'd get in the way of the baby's arms.  However, I'm SO incredibly glad Baby Bjorn sent these to us to try because they are AMAZING and I'm now adding them to my list of all-time favorite baby products...for real, they're that great.
We do Baby Led Weaning with Mim and it's wonderful, but it's also really messy.  We have a dozen of those cheap soft laminated bibs with the pocket that can be thrown in the wash machine.  They've served their purpose relatively well, but they're not ideal.  First of all, you can rinse them off in the sink, but they don't really clean unless you machine wash them. Which means, if you don't have tons of them, all your bibs end up sitting in the dirty laundry basket and you're left using a dish rag tucked into baby's neck as a bib.  No bueno.  And if you just rinse them off, they take forever to dry and they sit around your kitchen wet and taking up space.  Secondly, the velcro tabs don't work very well after being repeatedly washed and they're really easy for babies to pull off.  Third, the pocket on the front is flimsy and rarely catches food - Mim always ends up with tons of food getting squashed into her clothes and the front buckle of the high chair.  Messy.
We have NONE of those issues with this bib.  Yes, it is somewhat rigid, but the plastic is much softer and more flexible/comfortable than I thought it would be.  It has an adjustable neck strap, so you can make it larger as your child grows.  It snaps in place and holds tight, even with pulling (see above, Mac couldn't get it off when he put it on) and doesn't have the issue with the velcro losing it's strength after multiple washings.  
The bib is wide enough to cover the baby's entire chest, but curved to allow for arm movement.  Mim does not seem to be bothered by it at all and it certainly doesn't slow her down while eating. The front catch-all pocket is huge and doesn't fold shut, so it catches everything she drops before it falls down into the seat and gets ground into her clothes and high chair straps.  It's also big enough that she can see what's in there and fetch it back out if she still wants to eat it. 
But the best part about this bib is that you can just rinse it off in the sink and it's good to go.  No machine washing needed, no long drying time required.  Just one of these bibs replaced a dozen of our cheaper laminated ones.  I'm kicking myself for not having tried this sooner.  
My only complaint (and it's very minimal) is that since the bib is made of sturdy plastic, it's not the easiest to fold/roll up and stuff in a diaper bag when we go out to eat.  But really, who am I kidding with that line?  We have a mess baby and the most hyperactive toddler on the planet...we NEVER go out to eat.  I can't even remember the last time I took either kid to a restaurant, so while that point may fly with some folks, it doesn't really affect us.  

Anyway, we love this bib.  I'm really impressed with the quality and the design.  It comes in all kinds of colors and is available just about everywhere.  Two thumbs up.
Have you tried the Baby Bjorn bib?
What do you do to keep the baby feeding mess to a minimum?


*I received these products for review as part of the Savvy Sassy Moms Product Scouts program. All opinions are my own.

7 comments:

  1. We're gonna do BLW with Nora and I'm definitely thinking I need to add one or two of these to my list! These look fabulous and I just love that the pocket actually catches stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started reading your blog and am so glad I found it. I am thrilled that you reviewed these as my little girl (8 months today!) is doing baby led weaning and I am constantly digging food out of the high chair. I am picking up some of these today on the way home. Love the photo of Mim digging food out of the pocket...what a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I had no idea BB made bibs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the top of it looks like a little pearl necklace. So cute for your little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't they awesome! Loved getting to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think the ones we had with Carter were baby Bjorn, but we LOVED them. In fact, he still wears them at 2.5 and doesn't know there is any other option (shhhh)! But I love the pearl-like top on these...miss Landry may have to have some that are more girly like this in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say...I'm so glad we aren't the only ones who don't even try to venture out to eat with our kiddos. It's just not relaxing, at all! Definitely looking forward to the day that can happen though.

      Delete