Running from the Law: Mim's Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mim's Coral, Gold & White Nursery

I am so excited to finally share Mim's nursery with you today.  This room has been a labor of love and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.  I hope that Mim loves it as much as I do!

As soon as we found out we were having a girl, I knew I wanted to do a room in coral.  I considered matching the coral with an aqua/mint, then moved on to grey, but ultimately decided that gold was the way to go.  I started scouring the internet for coral and gold inspiration and put together an idea board based on a few items I purchased.  I also started a secret Pinterest board and became mildly obsessed with adding to it and changing it daily.  Seriously, how did we live before there was Pinterest?  

Anyway, there's a lot of great inspiration out there and coral seems to be a hot color right now, so I was slightly overwhelmed with possibilities.  I could not make up my mind and had so much trouble figuring out which direction I wanted to take the room in.  Why is it so hard to make choices while you're pregnant?  Then I started working with Natasha Schue (from the awesome blog, Schue Love), who helped me make some major decisions and guided me in the right direction.   We emailed back and forth for weeks with different ideas, items and suggestions.  It was so nice to have someone with excellent taste to bounce ideas off of and provide feedback.  She's got such great style and was so much fun to work with.  Natasha put together this inspiration board for me below and then it was up to me to turn it into reality. 
Coral, Gold & White Nursery Inspiration Board
{inspiration board created by Natasha Schue}

I immediately got to work on the room.  It needed a fresh coat of white paint to make it look clean and bright.  We had a ceiling fan installed, because the room did not have any overhead lighting, babies like fans and it would provide better circulation in the room.  We had an old dresser of mine in the room that I wanted to paint so we wouldn't have to buy one.  I decided to paint it white with ombre coral drawers.  I chose three shades of coral (all Behr paints: Cool Melon, Youthful Coral and Coral Expression) and fun crystal/gold knobs from Home Depot.  It took forever for me to find the time and energy to get it sanded, primed and painted, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out.
DIY Painted Dresser - Coral, Gold & White Nursery
Other DIY projects included lots of painting.  I was surprised how hard it was to find anything in gold, so most of the gold items in the room were spray painted gold (by my dutiful husband).  The curtain rod, the lamp, the bookshelf, the doorstop and multiple frames.  Other frames were painted coral with the same Behr paints, as was the wooden name above her crib.  The gold dots on the wall are decals from Urban Walls on Etsy.  While super easy to apply, it took me forever to figure out how I wanted them placed (straight lines vs. random).  I decided on a random rainfall type patter that was top-heavy and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

So without further ado, here is Mim's nursey!

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery


Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery


Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Coral, Gold & White Nursery





Coral, Gold & White Nursery

Photography - L Photographie
Gold Dot Decals - Urban Walls (Etsy)
Rug - Surya Frontier Casablanca
Blocks - Mia Boo (Etsy)
Shelving - Vittsjo from Ikea
Crib - Davinci Jayden Convertible Crib
Crib Sheet - Land of Nod
Crib Skirt - Carousel Bedding
Changing Pad Cover - Land of Nod
Antlers - The Shabby Shak (Etsy)
Golden Kiss Canvas - Oliver Gal
Wooden Name - Moon Snail Creations1 (Etsy)
Angel Wings - White Rabbit 
Sunburst Mirror - Safavieh
Owl Bookends - Three Hands
Vase and Coral Bowls - Anthropologie
End Table - Safavieh
Faux Coral - Pottery Barn
Coral Bird Pillow - Joss & Main
Gold Heart Pillow - Sukan Pillows (Etsy)
Sequin Chevron Pillow - Lulu & Georgia
Faux Fur Pillow - Hudson Park (similar)
Gold Dot Blanket - Isla and Lily (Etsy)
Dresser - DIY
Curtains - Madison Park Camila Ruffle Curtains (similar)
Lamp - DIY (similar)
Stuffed Animals - Jellycat
Prints:
     Name Dot - Southern Spruce (Etsy)
     Pink and Gold Hearts - Penny Jane Design (Etsy)
     For This Child - Bella Love Letters (Etsy)
     Flamingo - Thimble Sparrow (Etsy)
     I Like You - The Wheat Field (Etsy)
     Watercolor Birds - Lighthearted Dreamer (Etsy)
     Twinkle Twinkle (similar) - Chitrap (Etsy)
     Watercolor Hearts - Outside In Art Studio (Etsy)
     


47 comments:

  1. Amazing. Love every bit of it. Especially the photo of you and your girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I love it all. Everything about it is so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! It is amazing!! Great job! And mim is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. It's serious perfection!! I'm obsessed! And now you get to come do our baby girls nursery too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love!!! I've been waiting for this post. Everything turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so,so pretty! My favorite part is your old dresser...love the ombre look!! She is going to love it and I'm thinking you may never have to change it as she grows (besides the crib obviously!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so beautiful! Like catalog beautiful! My favorite part is that dresser. I cannot believe how different it looks -- you can hardly (if at all?) tell is the same dresser! Amazing job Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love every.single.thing. Can you come & redo my room? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I move in? You did such an amazing job. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm obsessed with this color scheme! You did such a great job on that dresser- gorgeous! The whole room belongs in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, Mim's room is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love!! This room is so gorgeous!! I want to move in and live with her! Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! It is the most beautiful room I have ever seen!!!! I LOVE it! It's beyond beautiful. Seriously.....I am dying at how beautiful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love her room!! It is perfect!!! Great job Mama!! I'm sure she will grow up loving it too!! Soo sophisticated!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks absolutely fabulous!!!! Exactly what I had imagined when you were explaining it. Every detail has a purpose! ! Great job! Also, wanted to thank you for including my coral dot printable in your nursery!

    - Jenna
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/SouthernSpruce

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of all nurseries I have seen this is my absolute favorite!! It's perfect!!! I know Mim will be in love with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara! Oh my gosh! This room is SO PERFECT!! If/when Baby Macke #2 ever happens I'm calling you for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally gorgeous! I'm in love! Would you design my room for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the way it turned out. Especially the dresser makeover. It's amazing what some paint can do.

    The Joni Journey

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything is absolutely perfect!! This has got to be your favorite room in the house!! :) So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely love it! Turned out so great, seriously perfect 10. Great work girls!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm obsessed with the ombré dresser! It all looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great work, mama!! The dresser and the heart pillow are my FAVES, but it all looks straight out of Pinterest!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is amazing! So bright and happy, just what a nursery should be in my opinion! Fantastic colour combo, love all the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love love love this! So feminine, modern, and classy! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Sara it came together so beautifully!! Love all the sweet little details...and especially seeing Mim all snuggled up in her crib. Thanks for letting me get my "girl" fill in with this design! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Sara, I LOVE it so much! It is so gorgeous! I especially love the dresser. How special and beautiful. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pretty sure I've never seen a prettier nursery. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this is gorgeous!!! Good job! I want this to be my room! That picture of you and Mim is so beautiful. Stunning, stunning, stunning, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dang, that is one good lookin' room! Can you come decorate for me, please?!?! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG, that is the most GORGEOUS baby room I have EVER SEEN. STUNNING. I absolutely love everything about it. This room is worth all of the hard work you put into it. Thank you for sharing it and your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow is all I can say... that room is absolutely perfect! The colors and everything just work together so well, and I love it!! You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE it so much!! She is an absolute ANGEL. And have I mentioned how over the moon I am for you?? Seriously. Who would have even thought that we could be so blessed?

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is amazing! The dresser is my favorite part. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an amazing nursery, it's gorgeous! I love everything about it! Thank you so much for including my flamingo print! www.thimblesparrow.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a beautiful room for a beautiful babe!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love every single aspect of this room...the knobs, the prints and especially sweet baby girl!!! Great job, Momma!!! Mim will feel like a complete lady with this room!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely Stunning!!

    I hope baby girl loves her blocks♥
    ~blessings
    www.miabooo.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! It's gorgeous momma! Makes me so excited to get Nora's room ready to go! We're doing coral as a main color as well but with some vintagey, floral accents and since we have espresso furniture, it won't be quite so light & airy! I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  40. So gorgeous! I love what you did with the dresser in particular. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  41. It looks absolutely beautiful!! You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  42. holy cow this should be in a magazine. no room in any house i've ever owned has looked this put-together and impressive. amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. oh my heavens!!! This is sheer perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Gah! Sara!! So beautiful!! You did another amazing job!! I love it all!!

    ReplyDelete