Running from the Law: Sisterly Love

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sisterly Love

I grew up with three younger brothers.  THREE ROWDY BOYS and lil' ol' me.  Of course, since I was the oldest, I ruled the roost and occasionally had to beat the crap out of them to reestablish my dominance if they ever got out of line.  I love my brothers fiercely and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world - they taught me to be tough, how to wrestle, how to shoot a gun, how to throw a punch.  However, I've always wondered what it would be like having a little sister.  A big part of the reason we got our second dog (Sage) was to give Mally a younger sister.  I can't even tell you how excited I was to see how Mally handled it.  Like me, Mally's a bit of a spoiled princess.  She rules the roost around our house and isn't used to sharing.  So when we introduced Sage to our family, Mally handled having a little sister a lot like I handled having little brothers...by wrestling. 

It definitely didn't take Mally and Sage long to figure out how to "play" together.
Sage lays on her back and bears her teeth.
Mally stands above her in the ultimate power position.
She makes funny noises and bites Sage's leg and neck (not too hard though).
Even though she's taking it "laying down," Sage definitely fights back.
She uses her butt and back legs to block Mally out.
Sometimes she gets a hold of Mally's whiskers or bottom jaw.
And those puppy teeth are SHARP!
But I know Sage is loving every second of it. 
She's so funny to watch because she makes the most hilarious faces!
When I tell Mally to go easy on Sage, I get the "But-I'm-not-doing-anything-mom" look that I used to give my mom when I got caught tormenting the boys.
Which gives Sage an opportunity to escape.
Sorry Mally.
Na na na boo boo.
I got away from you.
And then Sage snarls her lip and lunges at Mally...
...and it starts all over again.
Until somebody gets distracted by a stick.
Mally has zero interest in sticks, but she knows Sage loves them.
So she'll parade it around the yard in front of Sage, not letting her have the stick.
Sisterly love at it's finest.
I think these two are going to be just fine.
"Our roots say we're sisters, our hearts say we're friends." ~Author Unknown

15 comments:

  1. Ahh look at those lil' puppy piranha teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pics are so stinkin' cute! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I love that one where Sage has crazyeyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like Hanna and Butch! Hanna was totally the boss--I think it's a sheltie thing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gahh! These pics are hilarious. I love them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mally is a good big sister to endure those sharp little puppy teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL- puppy teeth are so sharp!!! Our three chew on each other all the time. One will just walk up to another and grab a leg in their mouth. So weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so cute together. Like you I was the only girl with 3bros (all mine are older though) so I always wanted a sister. Most of my close girlfriends have sisters and I think it's so cool. Even when they fight like CRAZY I was always jealous of them. It's like a guaranteed forever BFF. Then again, if I had a sister, I'd be a totally different person, so who knows. Maybe I would've turned out all pink lace & bows loving... ew. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. those pictures are PRECIOUS. I'm in love. My husband had a dog growing up that looked a LOT like Mally...and he's going to love seeing these photos ;) so happy to have stumbled on your blog! xoxo {av}

    p.s. less than four days to get your entries in for my huge Whiting & Davis giveaway! a handbag of your choice could be yours...don't miss out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great that they play so well together!! And Sage is definitely submissive to Mally - a really good thing! :-)

    Those pictures are precious! You're making me want to get another puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so sweet you gave Mally a sibling! I think it's one of the sweetest thing watching my dogs play together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute series of photos! Once our two girls started getting along (there was an adjustment period), they loved to wrestle together! It's so much fun watching them play like that, especially when one or the other develops a new tactic to best the other. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and have to say it is one of the cutest I have ever seen! I LOVE your About Me section, and I was so inspired by it too as I start law school in August! I'm your newest follower and so happy to have found your blog!
    Star Hughes Living

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha -this is the most adorable little pictorial. what a cute little family :)

    ReplyDelete