Running from the Law: Home Project - Dining Room Plate Wall

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Home Project - Dining Room Plate Wall

I've had my mind set on doing a plate wall in my dining room for quite a while now. I've seen all kinds of incredible pictures around the internet of really beautiful plate walls. Some are all similar plates. Some are an eclectic mix of plates of different colors, sizes and shapes. Some are meticulously arranged and other are in a haphazard pattern. I love them all! Check out some of these inspiration pictures.


Don't you just love this idea?! Me too!

So a few months ago, I started looking for plates for my dining room wall. My dining room is painted a bright apple green color, with cherry wood accents and natural elements. We currently have an ugly gold chandelier, which we plan on replacing eventually, but for now it stays. I wanted a mix-match look of all different sizes and shapes and color, but all complementary of each other and the room. I started buying plates off ebay, from etsy, at antique shops and home good stores. I figured I would need about 15-20 plates. And here they are:
Most of the plates I bought were between $5-15. Some were a little more because of shipping charges, but all in all, I didn't spend much on them at all. I bought mostly greens, whites, browns and yellows. Somewhere along the way I developed a flower/daisy obsession and have a few that almost even match.

This is the wall in my dining room where I wanted to do the plate collage. Pretty plain and boring...


Step 1 was to cut out paper the size of each plate. I numbered each cut out and then stuck a correspondingly numbered post-it on each plate. Step 2, once I had all the plates numbered, I could lay them all out on the floor to determine how I wanted to arrange them. Here's what I came up with.

Step 3, arrange the paper cutouts on the wall to determine spacing and get an idea as to where you'll hammer in the nails.

Step 4 is to attach plate hangers to each of the plates. I had to buy 3 different sizes of hangers for all the plates. They came in sizes 6-8 inch, 8-10 inch, and 10-15 inch. They have springs on the back to stretch to fit each plate and plastic covered tips, so they won't chip the edges. I think you can buy these at hardware stores like Home Depot, but I found them really cheap at a local antique/consignment shop. They were about $1.50-$2.25 per hanger.
Step 5 was to hammer in the nails and hooks. I nailed them directly into the paper cut-outs. That way I could remember which plate went where without having to hang them and keep nailing (which might cause them to fall off the hanger). And then I removed the paper afterwards.
Step 6, hang your plates! And enjoy!
I think it really brightened up the space. However, I'm not convinced that I really like that large brown and green plate. Too dark? Too big? Or is it a good contrast to match the wood furniture? What do you think?

32 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! I like how yours are all a little different and eclectic!
    I can't decide about that larger brown and green plate... though it does match the table, it seems to be the only one that doesn't fit it. I wish I could see it in person to give you a better opinion!
    But over all- very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.M.G. I love it! Wow, you did such a great job! I'm not crazy about the big plate either, but the rest are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, and I love a little "how to"

    The big brown plate does stand out. Which unfortunatley distracts from the cute designs on the other plates. IMO the size is right, the color is a bit off.

    BUT all in all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I am in agreement that the big brown plate stands out a bit. Does one of the white plates have a metallic border? Maybe you could play off that. The size is great though.

    You are a decorating diva...

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! You did an awesome job. I'm not a huge fan of the big brown plate where it is currently located. Rather than completely remove it, you could try moving it lower first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I really love this! I can't wait to get my own house to do this in :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's beautiful! PS: I got the books! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love it! I want to do one in all white plates in my dining room, you have inspired me to get crackin'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a talented woman!! I've always known that though. I would nix the big plate, maybe use it as part of a center-piece on the table or something, otherwise it looks so fabulous you may be in the wrong profession. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap, that looks amazing!!!!

    I do agree about the brown plate though....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these everytime I see them. I've started collecting plates ... great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Blog!! We have a wide range of Dining Room Furniture which helps you to reset your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea! I love the way it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome Sara! Love it! A lot of people are telling you to take down the big brown plate, but I think you just need to balance it our with another dark plate in an opposing corner. I actually like the contrast of color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. found you through d.a.r. and i love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I love this!! It turned out awesome!! Thanks for the tutorial. I just might try this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. its the square one that bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh...but i thinkd its a great idea...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved your "steps," as they were very clearly explained. Photos help! I like all the plates in the arrangement, but the white vent cover bothers me. One of the HGTV shows said to
    paint those to match the wall, as they are not really a design feature, just a fact of life.
    The idea is to blend them in a little. It made sense to me, and that is how I deal with them now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it, found you through Nester. I think that perhaps you might need two small plats on the side near the lily plate and IF you took a daisy or leaf image and overlayed it with modgepodge on the big brown plate it would totally tie the plate in...I have sprayed plates white and used colored sharpies to make designs. My favorite one is my family initial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. leave the brown plate. it jumps out and pulls focus off of the register/vent. why do they put those on walls?! seriously!!
    play around with putting a daisy on the middle of the brown plate, or small ones around the trim of the plate. i'nm visual, as in need to see it, so i would use paper before actually touching the plate with any art medium.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very awesome! I'm hoping to do this now in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all, thanks for leaving me your instructions on my blog ! LOL I'm now your newest follower! Second of all, your wall looks terrific! I see this post is from Feb, so I have to ask, did you do away with the big plate you had reserves about? Third, SERIOUSLY love your dogs!!!!!!! how sweet are they!?!? I grew up having a Sheltie, cousin to a Collie of course :) so I am a wee bit partial to them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, beautiful! I want something like this in my house, too. I think the big brown and green plate gives a good contrast to your plate wall. I hope you keep it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous post and great tutorial - your wall looks gorgeous! I've got this linked to my plate walls post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE IT! Everything looks really good, and I actually LOVE that big brown and green plate. It adds just enough eclectic pop to make the wall stand out! Please don't get rid of it! I am going to have to try this now! AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The wall looks great! I really like the random layout of the plates - it gives your room a nice relaxed vibe :-) I think I'd replace the large green & brown plate with another plate the same size in a lighter colour - how about orange & white, to balance out the flower plate on the left of the display?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Its BEAUTIFUL!! Totally loved the idea, so refreshing. The large green and brown plate does steal a little attention, but the other plates are so gorgeous that it dint bother me much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pure balanced perfection! No need to change anything!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks great. The large plate adds interest. Spray paint your chandelier!

    ReplyDelete