Running from the Law: 10 Most Difficult Recipes to Make

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

10 Most Difficult Recipes to Make

Oh yeah? Prove it.

I recently saw this post on another blog I read. It's the Top 10 Most Difficult Recipes to Make. I've never made a single one of them! So, I feel like this is a personal challenge that I need to take on. Here is the list:

1. Savory souffles
2. Coq au vin
3. Mole
4. Beef Wellington
5. Napoleons
6. Paella
7. Puff pastry
8. Baked Alaska
9. Croissants
10. Sourdough bread

Intimidating, huh? I'm not even sure that I've actually eaten all these things, so this should be interesting. Although I've got to say that I love puff pastry, croissants, beef wellington, napoleons and paella, so this could turn out to be a real treat! I know the Kitchen Conservatory has classes on all these things, but I'm going to see what I can do on my own first. Although, I will be taking a Crusty Breads class with Alice next month, so consider the sourdough mastered. Boo-ya.

So, I think I'm going to give these recipes a try. I love a good challenge! It's going to take some time to get through them all, so be patient with me. I think I might need to devote an entire Saturday to each recipe....Remember on Top Chef Masters when Rick Bayless said it took him 20 years to perfect his negro mole becasue it had about a million ingredients and three million steps? Uh...yeah. I'll try to blog about the recipes, the process and what I discover along the way. If anyone wants to join me in this challenge, I'd love some company and we can compare notes (and link blogs).




So, what do you think I should try first?

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never made any of those either! Personally, I would start with the puff pastry:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhh croissants!!!

    OMG I cannot wait to read about this, it is going to be awesome. Bonus points if I can come help eat, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I haven;t made any of these either! ha. Kudos to you for trying! Maybe sourdough bread?? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh the Sourdough bread sounds tempting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, you are a genius. I have not nor could I make any of these. I make an awesome faux paella however. I'm totally on board with this. My mom was a home ec teacher and would be so proud. Also, I dream of a good baked Alaska. And so jealous of your crusty bread class--yum!

    PS. I signed yo up for race day e-mail alerts from me. I'm a NERD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Challenge accepted! I'll do it with you. Everything on that list sounds delish! Except Baked Alaska - what is that? A dessert I think...

    And I do remember that episode of Top Chef with Rick Bayless (dying to eat at one of his restaurants in Chicago)!

    You tell me what you're starting with and I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm I love Paella. I received a paella pan for Christmas a few years ago and have made it once a year since then. It is putsy, yet delicious! I'm looking forward to your blog posts about these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Start with Coq au vin. It's more time-consuming than hard.

    If you made a risotto, you can easily do paella. EASILY.

    The hardest thing about the sourdough is going to be having your starter. That's the tricky part.

    Make puff pastry, then croissants, then napoleons. (you'll build on your skills as you go)

    As far as baked alaska, souffles, wellington...you're on your own.

    The things I can't seem to master- Fried Chicken. Granted, I haven't tried to make it very often, but each time it's an epic failure.

    Good luck!
    mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got you in for one entry on my giveaway! Good luck! And now, I'm following you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should make coq au vin. I didn't think coq au vin was terribly difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got me at sourdough bread. What a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great idea! You can do it!!! and I LOVE Rick.... he made me want to try mole hahaha.

    ReplyDelete