Running from the Law: The Dog Days of Summer - Chrissy

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Dog Days of Summer - Chrissy

Hi, I'm Chrissy from Simple Joys blog.  When Sara first asked to participate in this series, I knew immediately that I wanted to talk about the importance of making sure to not forget all about your first babies--your fur babies--during all the excitement of having your human baby. My Chihuahuas, Fifi and Angel are treated like people, not dogs. They are babied and spoiled and they deserve that much and more. When I was pregnant with Elin, a lot of people would tell me that after I had Elin, my dogs would just become dogs to me. That thought terrified me! I absolutely did not want that to happen and made a vow to make sure to not change my feelings or the way I treated and cared for my dogs. 
DSCN1229
Honestly, it bothered me so much that it kept me up some nights just thinking about it. I remember there were times during my maternity leave when they would aggravate me so much. They are barkers and they would bark when the baby was asleep or they would get in my way as I was pumping and they just plain annoyed me sometimes. I remember losing my temper and yelling at them and threatening to lock them in their crate. But, I always remembered that they didn't ask for this new addition to the family. We are the ones who rocked their world and added something new; and to think that it wouldn't impact them or cause more stress to them is naïve.
-0013
For those of you reading who don't have dogs, I am sure this sounds like the craziest thing, but trust me when I tell you that there is just no way to understand the love of having a loyal canine companion until you have had one. My dogs love me more than anyone in this world and they love me unconditionally. The highlight of their day is to sit with me and be with me and they are always there. They are never to busy or hurried. Their only goal each day is to eat, sleep, and spend time with me. I say me because, although they get along with my husband, child, and various other family members, I am that one person they have chosen to be their caretaker.
DSCN5523_edit
As you can tell by now, I am a crazy about my dogs so you would not be shocked to learn that the thoughts of them aging and their finals days are very real and very scary to me. My dogs are getting older and I know my time with them now is less than the time I have already had with them. I make sure to spend time with them everyday and to continue to show them love. I admit that sometimes it hard to make time with them and it's hard to watch out for them. I find that I put off taking them to the vet longer than if I wasn't busy with a toddler. 
DSCN4291_5x7But, I make an effort. I don't want their last day to come and for me to be too busy to see it coming or not there for them enough. They are loyal and loving and they deserve the upmost respect. As do all dogs. So don't forget about your first babies. Your fur babies. Only they can occupy that special place in your heart.
   

1 comment:

  1. Your dogs and Elin are so cute!! I love (still) that Christmas Photo of the pups in the box and Elin in her pretty dress by the tree! So glad they all get along :)

    ReplyDelete