Wednesday, March 21, 2012

15 Things a Mom Should Teach her Boys

I can't even tell you how excited I am to be having a little boy.  I constantly wonder who he's going to look like and what traits he'll get from me.  I truly hope he's a miniature Ryan in looks, attitude and ability, but there are some things I hope he'll pick up from me (e.g., my love of reading).  I love imagining the day that Ryan will teach him how to throw a curve ball, how to bait a hook and how to ride a bike.  But there are some things I want to be able to teach him too.  So when I saw this article the other day called "15 Things a Mom Should Teach her Boys," I got so excited!  I loved it so much I want to reprint it here for you. This is such a great list and has made me so excited about all the things I get to teach my son one day.  Of course, he'll be able to learn these things by watching his father (because Ryan had a great mom who taught him these things) - there  are just some things that only a mom will be able to teach.


1. The kitchen? Not just for girls. Learn to use a stove.

2. If a girl tries to change you she doesn’t really love you no matter how much you want her to.

3. Shower daily, keep your nails trim and use deodorant.

4. A dutch oven is never funny. EVER.

5. It is NEVER acceptable to break up with a girl over the phone.

6. Understand how to use basic tools.

7. When you ask a girl, “Is something wrong?” and she says, “No.” She’s lying.

8. The job of a stay-at-home mom is equally as hard as yours.

9. Table manners. Use them.

10. You will never know a stronger pull than that of your friends trying to get you to participate in their wrong doing. Resisting makes you a man. Succumbing makes you a coward.

11. NEVER use your fists to solve ANY dispute. One wrong punch could take a life and it could be yours.

12. Condoms will save your life.

13. Never use the word gay in a derogatory manner. It’s ignorant.

14. Sexting is a federal offense.

15. Real girls do not look like Victoria’s Secret models.






Anything else that you would add?

16 comments:

  1. I'll add: Please, Thank You, Yes M'am and No M'am are polite and always to be used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and of course it made me cry! Baby Mac is one lucky little man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list! If I had to add something, it would be: 1. Learn how to do laundry and iron. Good life skills! 2. Keep your pants pulled up. We don't need to see your undies. 3. A woman may be pretty...but her eyes are on her face, not her chest. Make eye contact! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! I can't imagine talking about condoms/sexting already. Too soon!

    Still a great list though. I would add opening doors - car doors, restaurant doors, any door - for a woman. My husband still opens the car door for me and I think it's sweet.

    Oh and laundry. Gotta teach the boy how to do his own laundry. Do you know how many guys I had to teach to do laundry in college? Or how many just took their laundry baskets home every two weeks for mom to do? Unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #5 should be updated to include via text message, e-mail, IM, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great. And very true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!! So true. So excited for your little boy to get here!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something needs to be added about penis grabbing. Gus is already a big fan. It needs to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would of just added how a man treats animals/pets is a good indication as to how you can expect he'll treat you (a woman person whoever!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a 17-year-old and I have to add a small tweak: please only use UNscented deodorant...some of these boys smell like raccoons in heat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son is 22 yrs old and moving 1500 miles away from me. :( I am printing out this list for him, to always remember what I tried to teach him..

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's okay to like girl stuff.

    ReplyDelete