Running from the Law: A Compliment a Day Keeps the Blues Away

Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Compliment a Day Keeps the Blues Away



Do you ever notice how one little compliment on your outfit or a job well done can put you in a better mood for hours?  I love that feeling - the feeling that someone noticed and was thoughtful enough to say something nice to me.  I had an appointment the other day where I got 3 compliments on my shoes.  Three!  I was on Cloud Nine for the rest of the day. 

The funny thing is, giving someone else a compliment is just as good (if not better) than receiving one.  A few weeks ago, I saw this cute little old lady in the grocery store wearing a bright red trench coat.  Believe me, I love a classic trench and red is my favorite color, so I thought this coat was fantastic.  As I walked past her, I touched her shoulder lightly and said "I love your coat."  This was not something I felt super comfortable doing (I'm so not a touchy-feely person and I don't like talking to strangers), but she absolutely beamed when I said that.  Her whole face lit up and you could tell she was strutting a little in that coat down the grocery store aisles.  And as good as she might have felt receiving the compliment, I guarantee I felt a thousand times better giving it.  And then I started thinking, why don't I compliment people more?  Who doesn't love a compliment?  It's easy enough to compliment friends, but why not brighten the day of complete strangers as well?  It sure brightened my day. 

So, I'm challenging myself to give at least 3 compliments a day to 3 different people I don't know.  On their clothes, jewelry, hair, work, shoes, pets...anything really.  It's such a tiny action, but can have such a wonderful impact on your day. 

Do you give compliments to strangers? 
What's the best compliment you've ever received?

17 comments:

  1. Well, I can't see your outfit, so, I can't tell you how cute you are, but, you always are, so, there's that. And you have a super cute house and the cutest freaking pets ever. Also, how many times can I use the word "cute" today? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I am always urging myself to give in to my nicer impulses more often, because I will see someone with a cute bag or cute shoes or great hair or an adorable child and want to say something... and then I don't because it feels weird. But I know I would feel AWESOME if someone complimented me! I still remember the time a stranger stopped me in a Macy's and told me she loved my hair. It made my whole day.

    I love your challenge. If I left my house more often, I would totally take you up on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like to give compliments to strangers, but sometimes I chicken out- usually when I want to know where they got said item. I get so flustered over the "engagement" part of complimenting them, that I forget the compliment. I saw this lady with a gorgeous purse the other day- I should have just told her how much I liked it, instead of freaking about asking her where she got it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly try to give compliments as often as I can! I know it brightens my day so it feels good to brighten someone elses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love giving compliments. I know how good it makes me feel to get complimented, so I try to spread that cheer to others ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! Compliments are the best especially from strangers! So sweet of you to make that little lady's day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did something similar a few weeks back.

    i was at the post office and this little old woman walked in. she seemed frail and i'm guessing she was round 80ish. her hair was completely dyed dark brown, all pouffed out like she'd had it sitting in giant rollers all day. she was wearing red polyester pants with a matching red polyester vest, a black dress shirt that had a ruffly ascot hanging out over the vest, and tiny little mock (wedge) high heels. the icing on the cake were the giant Jackie O. sunglasses. as soon as i saw her i thought "I WANT TO BE HER WHEN I GET OLD."

    i didn't say anything bc i was in calabasas, where everyone thinks they're the shit, and i refuse to contribute to that sort of behavior. but then 15 minutes later, i saw her again at the bank. i took it as a sign that i needed to speak up- i told her that i loved her outfit. she really seemed so flattered and it actually made my day to see her so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday I was talking to one of my clients. She told me "talking to you is like a Christmas present". Totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally the awkward person that compliments complete strangers. About half of the time, they think I am hitting on them or psycho. The other half? They love it. And it feels so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so true...I feel so great after someone compliments me, and also after I compliment someone else. But I don't ever think to do so...I need to start complimenting others more often, there are so many great people out there!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude, how can you post this & then NOT post a picture of said shoes?? LOL

    That said, I'm the worst at receiving compliments. When someone comments on my shoes I'm that girl who says "$25 bucks! 9 West, there's a sale - you should go!" Haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very rarely do I stumble upon a blog post that I feel is totally origional, something I haven't read anywhere else before. This was one of them! Great post! Also....hwat

    ReplyDelete
  13. perfect post! i always try to compliment people if i like something they're wearing or notice they look extra good, because i know how good it makes me feel when it's done for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love compliments, both giving and receiving! It really does brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretty sure I was on the receiving end of one of your compliments the other day, and I loved it! Thank you so much. You're too sweet and it's totally not true but it definitely made me smile and happy. :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a fabulous challenge. I've been trying to do something similar. I was finding that I would speak out to managers when I felt that service at various stores/restaurants/etc was lacking (or just terrible) so I also wanted to do the same when I got extraordinary service. I don't know if it makes any difference but I definitely think a bright smile from a store clerk makes a difference in MY day.

    ReplyDelete