Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sewing Basics Class


Last night was my final class in the Sewing Basics class at Sew It Seams. Four classes this month and I learned SEW much (hahahaha - are you getting tired of that yet?).   Although there was no pomp and circumstance, I've officially graduated!!  I'm so proud.  Excessive amounts of wine were had by all (mostly me) to celebrate.  Good times, good times.

Anyhoo, at the end of the class, I had mad a bathrobe from a big piece of fabric.  Magic.  And it actually LOOKED like a bathrobe too.  Magic.  And didn't fall apart when I put it on.  Project Runway, here I come!

Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures.  I don't know why.  I think I was just too overwhelmed trying to keep up and listen to instruction that I didn't even bother getting my camera out at a few classes.  So this post is really lacking in pictures, but I promise to make it up to you.  I'll take TONS of pictures when I make my first project at home.....................wait for it..................a skirt (insert oooohs and ahhhhs here).  Hell yeah.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about all the little things we did in class right now because that'd take for-ev-a and it'd probably bore you to death and I doubt I even remember most of it.  But here are the "basics."

1. Pick out your pattern and a fabric.  I really liked the softness of the houndstooth fabric that I picked out.  However, working with it was tripy.  The pattern was totally messing with my mind.  It really gave me a headache at times.  And made me dizzy.  Weird.

2. Cut out the pattern in your size.  There are measurements on the back of the pattern package.  I was an extra-small, so my pieces were little and I was the first one done.  SCORE!  Sorry, I know it's not a competition...I just don't like wasting time of stupid shit like cutting out paper. 

3. Lay out your fabric and fold in half.  Use the pictures in the instruction book to show you how to fit all your pattern pieces on the fabric.

4. Pin the pattern pieces to the fabric and then cut out the pieces.  Use pinking shears so you won't have to sew around the edge of all the pieces.  Be mindful of the notches.

5. Mark your fabric with all necessary markings with chalk.  We had a few dots on our patterns that needed marked.  Use the chalk in a color that will show up.  Mark on the inside (wrong side) of your fabric. 

6. Following the order of the instructions, begin sewing the pieces together.  Pin the pieces first and pull out the pins as you are sewing.  (Ok, I know this is a ridiculously vague statement, but every pattern is going to be different.  And it's much easier said than done.)  We started with the pocket.  We made the pocket and then sewed them on the front panels. 

Here I had just applied some interfacing to the top of the pocket.  I think.  I really don't know what was going on at this point, but I was fascinated enough to take TWO pictures of it.  Wow. 
I pinned the pocket in place with colored pins so I could see them against my fabric.  Can you see them?  Isn't it tripy looking!
And sew!
Below is my instructor helping one of the girls.  This is covert camera operation.  I don't know why, but I felt like a big ol dork whipping out my camera, so these were on the sly.
And here's our work area.

7.   And a month later...you're finished!!  Yay!!  Wasn't that super easy?!  Now you can have lots and lots of wine.  Don't we look fabulous in our robes?! 


4 comments:

  1. Nice work! p.s. what is our next recipe from the CYT cookbook going to be!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bathrobe looks great! And my mother has that same pin cushion! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going all domestic on me, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! I think I'm going to take a sewing class now, you've totally inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete