Friday, January 22, 2010

Random Stuff

I have writers block today. I think I may have officially run out of things to talk about. How did this happen? Damn it.

Well, I can aways talk about myself. And what a better place to do that than my blog. So here are some random findings from around the internets that have amused me.

I recently received a Facebook friend request from a college friend that I haven't seen or heard from in ages! Don't you just love Facebook for that reason alone? I knew she moved to Chicago after graduation, but she recently moved to the U.S. Virgin Islands! Her and her husband both lost their jobs, so they figured it was the perfect time for them (plus their pup) to move to St. Thomas! How cool is that?! She's bartending and he's a golf pro at a resort down there and they're just living life and having fun. I can't even begin to explain how horribly jealous I am of this. You can read all about Mary's adventures on her blog: Coconut Telegraph

So the next big thing in reading are the new e-readers. Undoubtedly you've heard of the Kindle and the Nook and all the others out there. Similar to an ipod, but for books, not music. I know a few people who have them and they LOVE them! I've considered an e-reader, but I don't think I'll ever get over the desire to have the actual physical paper book. Maybe it's the collector in me, but I love looking at all my books lined up on the shelves. It makes me feel proud to have read them all. I would even go so far as to say that I hoard books. I don't even like lending books to friends because I know I'll never get them back. I'm a freak like that. However, if you are interested in the new e-readers, For the Love posted a great review on the Barnes and Noble Nook. Read it HERE.


Thyme for Wine posted a recipe for mint chocolate chip cookies that made me drool all over my keyboard at work. You can get her recipe HERE.

Fresh Local and Best posted the most amazing pictures of The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market in NYC. WHY don't I live in NYC so I could shop here every single day. Lobster and crab. Shrimp, snapper and sardines. Trout, tuna and turbot. Oysters and urchin. I'm freaking starving now! Check out the post HERE.

Living with Lindsey posted a really cute DIY project to make a fabric heart wreath, just in time for Valentine's Day. How cute is this?! Check out here post HERE.


I'm obsessed with this blog called More Is Better. This girl is hilarious. I nearly peed my pants laughing at some of the things she says (the Google Maps post). I want to hang out together and be her bestie so bad but there's no way in hell I'm cool enough. So I just blog stalk her.

Do you read the Pioneer Woman's blog? She's amazing. She's having a photography contest right now for the perfect sunset picture. So many gorgeous photos. Here is her sunset picture.

Daily Candy website has a gallery article called 10 Cocktails to Raise a Glass To, which include drinks like the Spiced Cranberry Sangria and the Sparkling Pear. Delish! It's Friday, so why not make one tonight?! For all 10 recipes, check out the site HERE.

In other news (about myself):

I finally bought myself a sewing machine. I have no idea how to use it, where I'm going to put it, what I'm going to do/make with it, but it's on it's way to my house as we speak! It's super duper fancy, is computerized and does 110 different kinds of stitches. I'm so fucked. Do you know if they make a Sewing Machines for Dummies book?


I have finished the Blurb books of our wedding that I put together for our parents. They should be arriving any day now, so I'll make sure to do a post on them. I already gave my dad and Kelly theirs (and forgot to take pictures of it) and was really impressed by how well they turned out! I included our engagement pictures, then our rehearsal dinner pictures, followed by pictures of the wedding. I personalized them for each set of parents. You can preview the first few pages HERE.


My little brother is studying abroad this summer in Dublin, Ireland and I desperately want to go. Real bad. Way bad. SO so bad! I've been scouring the internet for deals and any information I can find. Has anyone here been to Ireland? Any suggestions or ideas for places to go, things to do, where to eat, what to see?

That's it. If I actually think of anything relevant or important to say I might be back. But I wouldn't hold my breathe, so have a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!! :) I could go for a Sparling Pear right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a sewing machine as a wedding gift.. definitely not an expert but I use it to hem all my pants, since I'm short! It saves a lot of time. Advice: take some scrap material (I use an old pillow case) to test out your stitching etc before attempting on actual clothes - this way if you did something wrong with the threading, you'll find out and can fix it.

    In college I did a semester in Galway, Ireland. I loved it! You should definitely visit your brother if you get a chance. Most of my adventures were on the West coast, but I highly recommend them if you have the time. Definitely visit Galway ~ Dublin is more big city, while Galway is smaller with a quainter Irish feel, and has tons of young people and lots of energy. It's just a 3 hr train ride from Dublin. While on the west, you can also check out the Cliffs of Moher and a day trip to the Aran Islands for some rugged, rural Irish country side. Feel free to email me for more information :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent a few days in Dublin in summer of '05, my cousin and I just randomly wandered but had a good time, I recommend the Guinness brewery tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear there are brown trout in Ireland....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a sewing machine last year for my birthday, so if you learn how to use yours, you can teach me!

    I want some of those mint chocolate chip cookies, like right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute blog girl! Just came across your blog here. I've always wanted a sewing machine too, but don't know how to use one either! Maybe you'll be my inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sara for including FLB. I love Pioneer Woman too. I purchased a sewing machine over two years ago and have never used it because it was so complicated to set up. Ahhhh! I'll have to figure it out when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more! Facebook is so random, I'm so jealous of your friends in St. Thomas and I have a sewing machine but I have no idea what to do with it! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many of my faves in this post. I drooled over that cookie recipe and have convinced my sis to make Lindsay's wreath for me. Isn't she fabulous? I lived with her lil' sis in college. Fabulous fam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am so jealous of your college friend in St. Thomas. That is my DREAM to up and move to a Caribbean island. I would totally be fine with bartending. That's cool. I'm going to go check out her blog.

    I'm also going to check out that DIY heart wreath. I need a new wreath for my door, and that is so cute! (The boyfriend is going to HATE it.)

    Agreed that Nicole at More is Better is a riot! I just gave her an award on my blog, and... oh wait!... I gave YOU one too! Head on over to check it out!

    Good luck with the sewing machine and Dublin! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Psh, shut your lips girl! We can *totally* be besties. Or at least "people who know each other on the internet and sometimes drunk text while rollerskating."

    Not that I can rollerskate. Maybe you can teach me. Since we're besties and all...

    ReplyDelete