Friday, January 29, 2010

Homemade Gourmet Meal Planning Party


Last night my mother-in-law hosted a Homemade Gourmet meal planning party.  Has anyone heard of this company?  I had not.  Having a Homemade Gourmet party is simiar to the Tupperware/Avon/Pampered Chef parties, where a consultant comes to your house and "hosts" a party for you.  In this case, instead of selling make-up or gadgets, she's selling packets of mixes/seasonings to make easy simple quick meals at home.  Plus, she helped us create a few meals of our own to try out later. 

Before the party, we were given 9 meal choices that we could make.  Since Bonnie is a Weight Watchers coach/sponsor, she had pre-selected for us all meals that were healthy and low in fat/calories.  These included meals like Lemon Basil Chicken, Chipotle BBQ Pork Tenderloin, Southwest Chicken, Burgandy Beef Tips, Orange BBQ Chicken, and Chicken Tacos.  Based on the meals that you choose, you bring the appropriate amount of meat to the party in a large ziplock bag (usually 3 pounds).  Once there, we each had our own "station" with our meal choice ingredients ready and waiting for us.  

We went through each recipe and created our meals by adding the Homemade Gourmet seasoning mixes to the meat, along with other ingredients as the recipe required (diced tomatoes, chicken broth, water, jelly, etc.).  After each meal was made, we slapped on a pre-made instruction label and took it home to freeze.  Most of the meals require nothing more than popping them in the crockpot for a few hours or baking them in the oven.  In about 40 minutes (it would have been less but we were all goofing off a bit) we each made 6 meals.  Not bad!

After the meal-making, we had the chance to actually taste a Homemade Gourmet meal.  Bonnie made a Citrus Chicken recipe with a little margarita mix added to the chicken for a kick.  I shredded the chicken for her and it was incredibly tender and moist.  We stuck it back in the crockpot to be served on little buns.  And of course, what party would be complete without a pie.  This was the cheesecake mix made with fat-free cream cheese, Cool-Whip and an Oreo crust (about 3 points).  It was fantastic!
We could purchase any of the mixes that we had used, plus additional mixes (less Weight Watcher friendly ones) like cornbread, shepherd's pie, cheesecake, mashed potatoes, meatloaf, lemon cookies, gumbo, etc.  Or we could always order later from the cataloge.
I'm going to reserve my full review of the product until I have the chance to make one of these meals myself at home and see if they're any good and really as quick and easy as they say.  But I have a feeling we're going to love them.  :-)  How can you not love food that is healthy and took 5 minutes to make.  Stay tuned...I'll let you know how it all turns out. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, all of those meals you made sound delicious! I can't wait to read your reviews, because this sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in!

    Again, just want to say I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun idea! A friend of mine's sister-in-law is a HG rep and I love to get ideas from her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea- I've never heard of this!! I need to go to one of these so I have meals made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 minutes??? Awesome! I would love to hear how that turned out!

    ReplyDelete