Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I’m Baaaack!!

And running again!! I can’t tell you how good (and miserable) it is to be back on the treadmill after nearly 8 months off. As I mentioned earlier, it wasn’t that I didn’t want to run, but after putting running and training for the marathon first for so many months last year, I needed some time away from it to dedicate to other areas of my life. A bit of a balancing act, if you will. For some reason I can’t get into the habit of just going for a run when I have time. It just doesn’t seem to be something that I can just pick up here and there and squeeze in when I have a free hour. For me, I need a schedule and a goal. I'm either training for something, or doing nothing. I guess I’m motivated by structure and fear of failure. So, I’ve made my training schedule – and I signed up for the go! St. Louis Half Marathon in April. Yay! I’m telling you all so I have some accountability - I can’t back out now!

The plan is simple: (1) run 4-5 times a week total; (2) weekly increasing distance long runs on Saturdays (3) rest days on Fridays; and (4) karate class (aka cross training) every Tuesday night. Easy enough, right? Eh, probably not. It’s going to take a while to get my lungs and legs back in shape. Last week was my first full week of running again and it felt absolutely miserable. I can’t believe what a slacker I’ve been for all these months, I’m rather embarrassed. So, it’ll take a few weeks to get back into the swing of things, but I’m confident that I can be ready for a Half in April.

And the following weekend I've signed up for the first annual "Fast & Furriest 5K” in Tower Grove Park, benefiting the Animal Protective Association of Missouri. Mally will be running it with me, so we've got to get her in shape as well. As soon as the weather gets a little nicer (and less salt on the sidewalks b/c it irritates her paws) we'll be taking the show on the road and hitting the trails outside. She's going to love it! I have a feeling she'll be dragging me through that course at full speed - so maybe I'll see a 5K personal best this year!

And to round out the trifecta of healthy spring activities, I've volunteered at RGA to be a TEAM CAPTAIN for the American Heart Association's Heart Walk, on May 2nd. Our team will consist of 15 walkers and will have a goal to raise $2000. I've participated in the Heart Walk for the last two years with Kasey, so now it's time to have my own team. I am pretty excited for this opportunity, especially since heart disease runs rampant in my family and has affected me in such personal ways. Hopefully this money will be used to save lives and prevent the disease so others won't have to go through what we have. Please let me know if you'd like to DONATE to my team for the American Heart Association. Any amount would be greatly appreciated. Or let me know if you'd like to sign up to WALK on my team with me on May 2nd. I promise it'll be fun!


Sara

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!!

    I hope you are doing well and I'm looking forward to reading your blog again (although that wasn't part of your 4 step plan, I'm hoping that blogging becomes a part of your "training" again).

    Good luck in your running, blogging (and wedding plans! how's that going???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT! Sara's back! Sounds like some good goals and plans for those goals, Sara. Good luck in getting back at it. Tammy and I have registered for our first half, the Bayshore Half Marathon in Traverse City, MI in May. A number of RA folks are going to be rallying there as well. Should be a great time. Welcome back and... I'll be lookin' in on ya so, keep up on your training and posting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me how to donate to help your fundraising and I'm there!

    Yay, Sara's BACK!

    LD

    ReplyDelete