Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Update

Well, I’ve recently been told (by a number of people) that I need to update the blog. Yes, it’s been a long time since I last posted. I’m sorry! Since this blog started out with the sole purpose of documenting my running and marathon training (neither of which I’m doing right now), it’s been hard to face the blog and admit that I’ve been lazy and pathetic. :) It’s not that I don’t want to run or don’t enjoy it anymore – it’s just that I’ve let the rest of my life (job, friends, wedding planning, job, decorating, job, etc.) take control and I haven’t found the time or energy to throw running back in the mix. But don’t worry; I’ll get back into it again. Running and I might have a love/hate relationship, but we’re not breaking up.

That being said, what the hell have I been doing for the last 5 months while not running? Well, working, mainly. My career has probably moved into number one priority position, as I try to make up for lost billable hours and re-establish myself as the most superiorly brilliant lawyer-ess in the world. I’ve also been trying to reconnect with friends I haven’t seen in a while. This summer has been all about dinner parties, baseball games, float trips, BBQs, happy hours and other social gatherings. It was a pretty fun summer! I’ve also spent some time redecorating the house. I’ve finally hung up pictures, decorated the guest room, organized the basement and the office, cleaned the utility closet out completely redecorated and repainted the dining room. I think I’m going through some kind of "nesting" phase before the wedding. And speaking of "the wedding," I’ve definitely spent some time wedding "planning." And boy is it fun!

As previously mentioned, Ryan and I are planning our dream wedding for next July in Jackson Hole, WY. We decided to do a "vacation-destination wedding" and get married in the mountains, in one of the most beautiful areas in the world (and the fly fishing’s not bad either). The ceremony and reception will be held at Crescent H Ranch, a former Orvis fly fishing lodge in Wilson, WY (in between Jackson and Teton Village). The Ranch has ten rustic guest cabins, each named for a native or renowned trout species, which will house the newlyweds and our wedding party. Over the last few months we’ve managed to book a photographer, a wedding planner, a florist, an R&B band, a guitarist and a travel agent. We’ve asked our most favorite friends to be bridesmaids and groomsmen. We spent months putting together all the necessary details and travel information on our wedding website, which has become my new internet obsession. I found the most beautiful wedding dress in the entire world!! I’m madly in love with it (seriously, I have dreams about it)! And I just recently sent out our Save the Date cards…so it’s really official. Everything seems to be falling into place! Now we just have to wait nine more months!

What we don’t have to wait very long for is our Second Annual Haunted Halloween Costume Party. We’re so excited to have the party again. We’re expecting a great turnout, since Halloween’s on a Friday this year. I really need to get on the ball and get our decorations up and figure our a good costume. The costume is always the hardest part. Last year I was Cruella De’Ville, which was kind of last minute and not all that fun. This year…I have no idea. Please feel free to leave me a comment with a suggestion – help wanted!!

So, that’s my short recap of the last few months. Now that most of the wedding stuff has been taken care of, I’m hoping to start running again more consistently. As of now, my workouts consist of karate once a week, yoga occasionally and walking up and down the stairs at work…pathetic, I know. I’m hoping to build up my mileage and sign up for the St. Louis Track Club Frostbite Series again this year. I’d love to try to beat my times from last year. And although I’d love to run another marathon some day, the timing just isn’t right for now or anytime in the near future (however, I do have my sights set on Loch Ness Marathon in Scotland for 2010).

A few other things worth mentioning:
  • Congratulations to Claire, Ashley, Lindsay, Annie, Trish, Betsey, Melanie, Christina and Kristen, who all had gorgeous and healthy babies over the last few months. Congrats to Margaret, Traci and Freckles, who are both expecting Baby #1. And congrats again to Claire and Kristen, who are already working on Baby #2.
  • Congratulations to my future brother in-law Justin and sister in-law Christine. Justin popped the question a few weeks ago and Chris said yes! They’re planning an October 2009 wedding in Chicago. I’m so excited to be getting a sister and thrilled to have someone going through the wedding planning process with me.
  • Congratulations to Alice and Zoomy, who both ran marathons this month. Alice ran Chicago with her entire speedy family and Kirsten ran the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee. You guys rock!!
  • A big "Welcome Home" shout-out to my friend Cassie, who has spent the last two+ years in China in the Peace Corps and traveling the world. She was back in St. Louis last weekend, canvassing for Obama, and we got to spend some "quality time" together. She hasn’t changed a bit (although she may be more adorable than I remember, if that’s even possible). It was SO great to see you, Cassie.

Ok, so that’s it for now. I’ll try to be better about posting. :) No promises, though.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, girl--and I am so glad that you haven't abandoned your blog AND that wedding planning hasn't made you vow to exchange your vows in a courthouse!

    :D

    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you again. Good luck with the wedding planning - it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The blog is back! Every time I think about your wedding, I get excited. I absolutely cannot wait to see wyoming!! Hope your party was fun--I am sorry we missed it! Alice

    ReplyDelete