Friday, April 11, 2008

Good Luck Rick and Lorna!!

I have had the pleasure of getting to know Rick and Lorna well over the last few months. We all log our runs on the fabulous running website, RunningAhead, were relatively new runners(within the last few years), and all training for our first marathon (which were all within a week of each other). We have spent the last 5 months comparing training schedules, weather, war stories, goals, expectations, experiences, injuries, emotions and jokes. It has been so nice for me to know that there are other people in exactly the same boat, going through the same things. They both donated generously to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in support of my race; they have become some of my biggest cheerleaders; and they are a huge part of my marathon success.

First, Rick is a 41 year old insurance rep and volunteer EMT/firefighter in Michigan. He has a beautiful wife, Tammy and two amazing daughters Cheslea and Lindsey. Rick is running the Glass City Marathon in Toledo, Ohio this weekend, in honor of his cousin, Cassy, who has severe cerebral palsy. Rick has been training through some nasty Michigan winter weather and battling a leg injuy without ever giving up. This guy epitomizes HTFU!! I know he's going to do GREAT this weekend and I can't wait to hear all about it!
Here's a pic of Rick's family.


Cold Michigan run.


Lorna (Freckes) is my running buddy from Glasgow, Scotland. She is a primary school teacher and will be running the famous London Marathon this weekend to raise money for children with cancer. She's running in memory of her cousin's son, who died of cancer last May at age 2. I have absolutely loved hearing all about Lorna's marathong training adventures, such as: shattering her Half Marathon PR in Edinburgh, tripping over a duck, finding out her dog ate her Gamin, and running with her father. Lorna's been incredibly dedicated to this training and very speedy, I think she's going to give Paula Radcliffe a "run" for her money this weekend!

Lorna and Lucy (the Garmin-eating, posing wonder dog)

Freckles and Family


Best of luck to both Lorna and Rick this weekend!! You two are amazing!! I'm so proud of both of you. You're both going to rock these races!! Make sure to enjoy the experience and smile for all the cameras!! And PLEASE post as soon as you can Sunday night and let us know how you did!!

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited that race weekend has arrived for you guys...go kick some butt, friends! I'm so proud to know you both.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sara. I'm not sure about how successful I will be in smiling for all the cameras, like you were, but I'll do my best, as with my race as well.

    And... unlike someone I know... I WILL post at least my results asap on Sunday. You won't have to e-mail me for it. ;-)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I only noticed this now so I'm a bit late and I know you are in Cabo just now, but wanted to say thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete